Short Bio: Chris Well is a media veteran who has worked more than 30 years in professional media. Also a published novelist, Chris has written suspense and mysteries for traditional publishers and as a self-published author.
Medium Bio: Chris Well is a media veteran who has worked more than 30 years in professional media. He’s been a magazine editor, columnist, journalist, broadcaster, and college instructor. Also a published novelist, Chris has written suspense and mysteries for traditional publishers and as a self-published author.
Long Bio: Chris Well is a media veteran who has worked more than 30 years in professional media. He’s been a magazine editor, columnist, journalist, broadcaster, and college instructor, with field experience covering music, publishing, human interest, and more. (There was even that time he was the editor of a bridal magazine.) Also a published novelist, Chris has written suspense and mysteries for traditional publishers and as a self-published author. He and his wife live in New York City.
- How Any Author Can Get Media Coverage
- Best Ways to Start Getting Publicity Right Now
- How an Unknown Author Can Publicize a Book
- Why Every Author Needs a Media Kit
Suggested Interview Questions
- Why is publicity important for authors?
- What can publicity do that social media can't?
- Does an author need to have a publisher or hire a publicist to get publicity?
- What's the difference between "publicity" and other kinds of marketing?
- Isn't publicity too expensive for the average author?
- Does publicity work for any kind of author or business?
- When's the best time to start promoting a book? Is there a "too soon" or a "too late"?
- Why does an author need a media kit?
- What should be included in an author's media kit?
- How does an author figure out the best members of the media to contact?
- What are the ways for an author to convince the media they're worth covering?
- What should an author include in a pitch to the media? What's too much and what's not enough?
- What are the common mistakes authors make when contacting the media?
- What are the best ways for an author to get started with publicity?
To request an interview with Chris or to inquire about having him speak at your event, contact him here.
Right-click to save to your desktop or open in a new window.
BookWorks Blog Team of Industry Experts
I became the resident media expert for BookWorks in Dec 2017
See all my columns: CLICK HERE
Chris Well on Author Publicity and Media Outreach — The Writing Coach 079 (October 4, 2018)
HEADS UP! This podcast with @BuildYourBrandA @Kevin_T_Johns is Marketing Outreach GOLD. Every author should check it out: https://t.co/WEaD79ToXY #writing #bookmarketing pic.twitter.com/S5tltH7aye
— Angela Ackerman (@AngelaAckerman) October 31, 2018
YVR Authors - Vancouver, British Columbia (May 22, 2018)
"So much good information packed into this talk."
- Melody Owen
"Excellent presentation with great information!"
- Evelyn McKelvie
Infopreneur Summit 2018 (Feb 19-22, 2018)
Platform Building & Media Relations for Indie Authors (Oct 6, 2017)
2017 Indie Author Fringe - Guest Speaker (Jun 3, 2017)
Promo Day 2017 - Guest Speaker (May 6, 2017)
43 Experts Share their Secrets on How to Effectively Promote Blog Posts (Blogging Pro)
How to Build Traffic from Twitter (MyBlogU)
Behind the Scenes: Chris Well, Build Your Brand Academy Instructor (Night Owl Reviews)
30 Blogger Tips on How to Grow Blog Readership (Web Hosting Secret Revealed)
Indie Authors: Follow These 40 on Twitter in 2017 (Social Media Just For Writers)
2016 Publishing Success Summit - Guest Speaker (Dec 20, 2016)
2016 iBooks Author Conference - Guest Speaker (Oct 6, 2016)
5 Steps to Get Media Attention - Sketchnotes iBooks Author Conference #sketchnotes #ibaconf #ibooks #ibooksauthor @BuildYourBrandA pic.twitter.com/EiyN2JV6eN
— Andy McNally (@andymcnally) October 7, 2016
Social Media vs. Publicity: How Social Media Fits into Your Publicity Strategy (Social Media Just For Writers)
7 Essential Ways for Authors to Be Newsworthy (Write Nonfiction Now!)
26 PR experts reveal their secrets for handling a media crisis (Media Minded)
Do You Know How To Grow Your Twitter As A Content Creator? (Immensely Social)
How to Get Publicity and Other Media Coverage: Interview with Chris Well (Marketing Without the Marketing)
Build Your Brand: 5 Reasons Every Writer Needs an Online Media Kit (ProWritingAid)
2016 Predictions for the Self-Publishing Industry (BookWorks)
Chris Well From DIY Author - Behind the Scenes (Night Owl Reviews)